Monday, February 9, 2009

There is a story...

Growing up...driving across the country, mostly Kansas, so many times got to be quite boring. Anyone thats ever driven through Kansas knows what I am talking about! 450 of the longest miles you can imagine! Well, if you have made the long drive, you are also probably aware of the numerous "road side attractions" that Kansas has to offer... 6 legged steir, worlds largest gopher... all things my dad would never let us stop and see. So, last week my mom, brother and I drove (across Kansas and Missouri) to Illinois to celebrate my Grandma's 75th Birthday. And GUESS WHAT? No, I didn't to see the 6-legged steir (only because that attraction is only open during the summer), but I did convice Jason to stop at a few other "attractions. And thanks to the less than accurate directions that roadsideamerica provided...Jason was getting quite annoyed at my requests so I couldn't convice him to stop at the Worlds Largest Spur, Worlds Largest Pecan, the Large Eyeball, The Largest Shoe-Made entirely out of shoes or anything else for that matter.

I did however see a few things, a big improvement over any other trip in the past!



Worlds Largest Easel.
80 ft tall and 40,000 lb steel easel
Complete with a 24ft x 32ft replica of van Gogh's Sunflower Painting
Goodland, KS


50 Foot tall concrete Tee Pee in Lawrence, KS


Worlds Largest Shuttlecock
18 feet tall, weighs 2 1/2 tons
Kansas City, MO


Robert Wadlow aka "Altons Gentle Giant"
Worlds Tallest Man
Alton, IL
Robert Wadlows Chair
Alton, IL
(I have been getting my picture taken with the Robert Wadlow statue since I was at least 3. We make it a point every time we are visiting family in IL to make sure we get our yearly picture.

5 comments:

AGoodKindOfCrazy said...

I am bitterly disappointed that I did not get to enjoy this drive with you.

Someday we need pictures of us in front of the World' Largest Shuttlecock. Just because.

Btw, nice bump.

Angela said...

This is great! Love to see the pics of it all as I heard you all would be stopping. How fun! Glad you had a good and safe trip - hope you all make it again soon when I can come home too - and KRYSTE! Haven't seen her since Zoe was like 3 or 4 and no one else was born yet! How is the baby in your belly? : )

Bobbie said...

It's the Gentle Giant. Not gental giant. I can't believe Kryste didn't catch that. great pics, looks like alot of fun.

Mom. Wife. Pet Tamer. Picture Taker. said...

wow, I am really having trouble spelling lately! I fixed it.

AGoodKindOfCrazy said...

Problem with spelling LATELY??? pshaw!